Thursday, April 07, 2022

LOVE should not be used in the Progressive form?

 Today, some ESL teaching materials and websites are still telling us not to use Verbs of Emotion in Progressive form: 

================

DON’T USE THESE VERBS IN PROGRESSIVE FORM:

ENGLISH VERBS THAT CANNOT BE USED IN THE CONTINUOUS OR PROGRESSIVE FORM

Verbs of Emotion:  love, hate, prefer, mind, like, dislike, please, surprise, astonish, impress ...

(https://www.englishcoursemalta.com/.../english-verbs.../)

================

But as the following screenshot shows, it's perfectly OK to say 'loving' (not just McDonald's "I'm lovin' it"). 

Below is an example I like to give in my Language Awareness course to show that even 'hate' can be used in the Progressive: 

If a woman says to a guy "I'm hating you for what I've done for you", the guy still has a chance. But if it is 'I hate you for ..." that the woman says, he is in real trouble.




No comments:

ChatGPT and Being a Guide on the Side

 自從有了ChatGPT, 在課堂中一些以前我會主動解釋的概念,現時間中我會請學員即時問ChatGPT, 其中一個目的,是讓學員看到如果是純知識,他們其實不用我去告訴他們,我亦希望借此培養他們的主動求知的精神。 這並不表示我備課變得輕鬆了,只是我的心思變為集中在設計一課的Lear...