Thursday, October 08, 2026

Created a Jazz chant for practising 'I've never .... before' based on Carolyn Graham's example

 Source: Carolyn Graham's 44 jazz chants collection: 

https://whij.weebly.com/uploads/8/9/6/2/8962213/graham_jazz_chants_reformatted.pdf


TOOL: Gemini

PROMPT: 

(Above link pasted in.)

https://whij.weebly.com/uploads/8/9/6/2/8962213/graham_jazz_chants_reformatted.pdf

Please follow the examples above, and create one jazz chant consisting of about 20 lines for junior ESL students to practise the sentence structure 'I've never + past participle ... before.' 


OUTPUT: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HDyVRhhVu9eg78I0WfA3jvguPyFI4Ygan3JltO5h9TI/edit?usp=sharing


https://share.gemini.google/eCBEKpIHkbHz

Here is a custom 20-line Jazz Chant designed with a clear 4-beat rhythm (4 counts per line). The bold words mark the stressed beats where students should clap, snap, or tap to keep the rhythm.

Have You Ever?

(4/4 Beat: 1 – 2 – 3 – 4)

Have you ever flown a plane? No, never! No, never! I’ve never flown a plane before! No, never in my life!

Have you ever ridden a camel? No, never! No, never! I’ve never ridden a camel before! No, never in my life!

Have you ever eaten a snail? No, never! No, never! I’ve never eaten a snail before! Yuck! Never in my life!

Have you ever seen a ghost? No, never! No, never! I’ve never seen a ghost before! No, never in my life!

So many things I’ve never done! Maybe today is the day to start!

Teaching & Chanting Suggestions

  1. Rhythm Setup: Have students establish a steady 4-beat rhythm first (e.g., clap-snap-clap-snap or stomp-clap-stomp-clap).

  2. Call and Response: Divide the class into two groups:

    • Group A (Questioners): Chants the line starting with "Have you ever..."

    • Group B (Responders): Chants the three response lines ("No, never!..." / "I've never...").

  3. Pronunciation Focus:

    • Focus on contracting "I have" into /aɪv/ (I've).

    • Ensure strong stress falls on the past participles (flown, ridden, eaten, seen, done) and the final word before before.

=========================

KEY TAKEAWAYS

AI is doing a good job in generating jazz chants. 








No comments:

Created an interactive blank-filling web app from an uploaded blankfilling passage (Nathan's blog; Comparative Adj)

 TOOL: Gemini Canvas SOURCE: an image file which is a blank filling passage for practising comparative adjectives WhatsApp Image 2026-10-09 ...