Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Using QuestionWell to help students focus on their reading

 Yesterday, I said that QuestionWell was by far the best AI tool for generating reading comprehension questions from a reading text. The only concern was that it could only generate MC questions which asked for specific information in the text (in other words: no HOT questions). In other words, don't expect the app will give you all the questions that you need for a full-fledged reading comprehension lesson. (https://www.questionwell.org/

Nevertheless, QuestionWell is still useful for generating a short MC quiz to accompany a short reading activity to help students focus. In an upcoming class session, one of the activities is for the teachers in my class to read a case story, and then get into groups to discuss the case. In order for the teachers to benefit from the case discussion, it is important that they read the case story carefully first. I went to QuestionWell and input the case story. The app generated 22 MC questions for me. I chose 8 of them, and would use them this Saturday to prepare the teachers for the case discussion. It would take me a lot of time if I were to come up with the questions myself. 

In other words, do not rely wholly on these AI tools to create teaching materials for us, but if used with discretion, they CAN save us a lot of time. 



No comments:

ChatGPT and Being a Guide on the Side

 自從有了ChatGPT, 在課堂中一些以前我會主動解釋的概念,現時間中我會請學員即時問ChatGPT, 其中一個目的,是讓學員看到如果是純知識,他們其實不用我去告訴他們,我亦希望借此培養他們的主動求知的精神。 這並不表示我備課變得輕鬆了,只是我的心思變為集中在設計一課的Lear...