Monday, February 07, 2022

Loom vs Screencastify

 A few years ago, I started with Screencast-o-matic for creating a screen-recording instructional video. The free version had a time limit of 15 minutes, though. When the Screencastify Chrome extension came along, I switched to it immediately, because as a Chrome extension, it was so convenient to use, although the maximum video length was only 5 minutes. 

Later, when Loom, another Chrome extension came along, I abandoned Screencastify immediately, since with Loom, there is no limit with the video length, and if I like, I can include my 'talking head.'

Then a couple of days ago, I discovered that Screencastify has taken on a new function: Inserting quiz questions into a screen-recorded video. (If you have used Edpuzzle or Playposit, you'll know what I mean.) So, will I abandon Loom, and return to Screencastify? I don't know yet. 

But it's always interesting to watch these competitions between app developers: how they keep trying to one-up each other (another example being Kahoot vs Quizizz). Of course the users are always the beneficiaries. Just that sometimes, I wonder how these app developers make a living, since the free plan is often good enough!


No comments:

ChatGPT and Being a Guide on the Side

 自從有了ChatGPT, 在課堂中一些以前我會主動解釋的概念,現時間中我會請學員即時問ChatGPT, 其中一個目的,是讓學員看到如果是純知識,他們其實不用我去告訴他們,我亦希望借此培養他們的主動求知的精神。 這並不表示我備課變得輕鬆了,只是我的心思變為集中在設計一課的Lear...