Friday, July 16, 2021

The 'Collections' function in Microsoft Edge

 My default browser is Chrome. But recently, while following the Harvard course, I discovered, by chance, a useful function in Microsoft Edge which is very useful for note-taking. It's called 'Collections'. After I click on the Collections icon in the top right corner, a vertical pane will pop up on the right-hand edge of the web page. Then if I see a key phrase or an important sentence on the web page I'm reading which I want to note down, all I need to do is highlight it, and then drag it into the right-hand Collection pane. I can even drag a diagram into the pane. I can also use the sticky note function inside the pane to type my own notes. 

After I have finished reading a module section, to get a copy of the notes that I have collected in the pane, all I need to do is to export that collection as a Word file. Later, when I start a new module section, I simply start a new Collection. 

Of course, this note-taking can be done by doing copy-and-paste into a Word document, but then you have to open and keep switching between 2 windows, and the Edge 'drag into collection' action is much quicker and simpler, and fun!




No comments:

ChatGPT and Being a Guide on the Side

 自從有了ChatGPT, 在課堂中一些以前我會主動解釋的概念,現時間中我會請學員即時問ChatGPT, 其中一個目的,是讓學員看到如果是純知識,他們其實不用我去告訴他們,我亦希望借此培養他們的主動求知的精神。 這並不表示我備課變得輕鬆了,只是我的心思變為集中在設計一課的Lear...