Thursday, July 15, 2021

I didn't know how to teach until I met you

 In the 'Make a difference' movie,  Teddy Stallard, MD, at his wedding, thanked his elementary school teacher Ms Thompson: "Thank you for believing in me. Thank you so much for making me feel important, and showing me that I could make a difference. (Teddy was once an at-risk student in elementary school, but Ms Thompson turned his life around.).  It's Ms Thompson's reply that has resonated with me ever since: "Teddy, you've got it all wrong. You're the one who taught me that I could make a difference. I didn't know how to teach until I met you."  This reply resonates with me because it reminds me that it's the students whom I have had that have served as the stimulus to my becoming a good teacher (and perhaps, even a better human being). Without them, I won't know the true meaning of teaching, and how to be a good teacher: "I didn't know how to teach until I met you."


https://makeadifferencemovie.com/index.php

No comments:

ChatGPT and Being a Guide on the Side

 自從有了ChatGPT, 在課堂中一些以前我會主動解釋的概念,現時間中我會請學員即時問ChatGPT, 其中一個目的,是讓學員看到如果是純知識,他們其實不用我去告訴他們,我亦希望借此培養他們的主動求知的精神。 這並不表示我備課變得輕鬆了,只是我的心思變為集中在設計一課的Lear...