Sunday, February 21, 2021

A wake-up question

 Yesterday, I posted the story of Daisy, who by chance switched from teaching in the mainstream system to teaching in a special school. I then followed up by asking Daisy in what ways her life has changed. This is her reply: 

"I will feel happy more easily compared to the past. The students here always remind me of 知足常樂 as they are true and simple.

And the school environment makes me feel more relaxed."

Of course, this is not to say that teaching at a special school is 'easier', or definitely more satisfying, than teaching at a mainstream school. It has a lot to do with one's values and disposition, especially what one is after in life. 

I remember that after teaching for 5 years at my first teaching school, I began to feel a lack of job satisfaction, as I thought my students were not paying me back with equal effort. Out of impulse, I applied to a special school, and was quickly offered a teaching post. At the very last moment, the principal asked: "Do you think you're really prepared to go into special education?" That was a truly wake-up question. I realised I just wanted a change; I was not prepared for that switch. I turned down the offer, and continued in my original school. I then changed my mindset: Instead of expecting my students to reciprocate with equal effort, I concentrated on what I myself could do to bring out their best. 

And I guess that's why while I revere people who find satisfaction and devotion in special education, I will also avoid romanticising working in the special ed sector to my education students. For me, the first questions to ask are: Who am I? What are my life values? What am I after in life? What kind of person am I? .......

No comments:

ChatGPT and Being a Guide on the Side

 自從有了ChatGPT, 在課堂中一些以前我會主動解釋的概念,現時間中我會請學員即時問ChatGPT, 其中一個目的,是讓學員看到如果是純知識,他們其實不用我去告訴他們,我亦希望借此培養他們的主動求知的精神。 這並不表示我備課變得輕鬆了,只是我的心思變為集中在設計一課的Lear...